Lady Melbourne logo

Lady Melbourne has a new home!

You should automatically be redirected to my new site in just a few seconds:
http://www.ladymelbourne.com.au

8.10.09

Leona lends a hand....

Leona Edmiston Lea dress, $475AUD

I was absolutely thrilled when I received an email from the lovely Phoebe at Leona Edmiston asking if they could lend a hand with my Frocktober efforts. I opened up a couple of parcels this afternoon to find this divine dress amongst a veritable candy store of frocks to choose from. Thank you so much!

So far I have raised $47.30 for the cause which doesn't seem like much money, but Frocktober isn't just about raising dollars.

One of my best friends was diagnosed with cancer at 22. When I was 22 I'd just moved to Sydney and had begun my very first job out of uni. Cancer was the furthest thing from my mind, and I can only imagine what it must have been like for her to face her own mortality at such a young age.

I was lamenting to her the fact that I hadn't raised much money the other day when she said to me that it's not just about money, but the awareness that needs to be raised around young women looking after their health. She said that one of the hardest things about her battle with cancer was talking about it, and that opening a public forum through things like Frocktober helps just as much as raising money.

She is in remission now at all of 24, and is happy and healthy and getting on with her life.

Her story and that of all women dealing with cancer should hopefully be an inspiration to us girls where ever we are, to start having conversations about our health.
What do you guys think? If you have your own story I would love to hear from you, leave me a comment or email ladymelbourne@gmail.com


Share/Save/Bookmark

11 comments:

-Bee- said...

What a pretty dress!!

And I feel for your friend who was diagnosed with cancer at only 22. To beat cancer takes a lot of courage and I'm so glad she is well and healthy now.

I've made a donation today and hope the small amount helps. =) Don't worry about not being able to raise enough money.. the money will slowly pour in. *fingers cross*

Wishing you all the best in raising awareness!

Chantelle {fat mum slim} said...

I wish your friend all the best. xx

That frock looks amazing on you. I love how it's a little kitsch. I can't wait to see the rest. :)

Louise said...

You look stunning. That frock is definitely a keeper. And good on you for supporting such a great cause.

Sarah Kate said...

Lovely dress :)

Meg said...

Lovely dress! Best of luck with your fundraising.

Megxx

Frocktober said...

Lady Melbourne, your post sums up our philosophy 100%. While our aim is to raise money to support the OCRF, raising awareness of this disease is also on the top of our list. We thank you for your continued support - and we love this frock :)

Laverne Frocktober

Fashionisaparty.com (Suz) said...

love this dress, só lovely!
xx

Rosie Unknown said...

Wow, that dress is divine!

And you have to remember, the more people who know, the more people who will raise money.

Annie said...

so inspiring... I watched the pride of britain awards last night (ia m not ahsamed people) and damn me, there are some amazing people out there, and the people who come through cancer and go on to do amazing things really leave me in the dust. anyways, I shed more than a few etars, it has to be said!!!

Sarah Walker said...

What a wonderful thinking you are doing. Cancer shouldn't be a taboo subject- we are all in it together in the end. I wish your friend all the best! xo

esme and the laneway said...

I think it is a wonderful thing you are doing, and such a great way to raise awareness. I hope your friend stays well.

I am yet to sponsor you, I hope my little helps :) Keep up the good work! And it is great to see designers helping out.